Skip to content

Name change

Where to apply

An official name change must be obtained in the country of residence. In Australia and New Zealand you can apply for a name change through a Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

A link to registries of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Australia can be found here.

A link to registries of Births, Death and Marriages in New Zealand can be found here.

In certain cases the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages may not be able to issue a name change certificate. In that case the name change should be obtained in Denmark though the parish of your last residential address in Denmark. You can find the parish here.

CPR-register and passport

We can only issue a new passport in the name recorded in the CPR-register. This means that you are required to change your name in the CPR before you can apply for a passport to be issued in your new name.

In order to have your name change recorded in the CPR-register, an official name change certificate is required either from the local Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages or from Denmark.

It is up to you, to ensure that CPR is notified of your name change. You can do so by contacting the municipality in which you last resided in Denmark. Please be aware, that the procedure could vary from one municipality to another. Once your name in CPR is updated to reflect your name change, you can apply for a passport to be issued in your new name.

Important: According to Danish law a marriage certificate from Australia or New Zealand is NOT accepted as documentation of a name change, as it does not record if any of the married parties have changed their names after the marriage. (You may have to inform the local Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages of this when you apply for an official name change certificate on the basis of marriage where the marriage certificate has already been issued).

If a name change or marriage has been performed in Denmark and is already recorded in the CPR-register, the first time you apply for a passport in the new name, an official Danish marriage certificate or name change certificate is required.

The rules are in place to prevent double identities and minimize the risk of identity theft.